DL&W Train at Depot, circa 1912

DL&W train at the depot, circa 1 912, from a “Mrs. J. H. Freeman” postcard

The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad (DL&W), which ran from New York City to Buffalo, was completed through Savona in 1882, providing direct competition with the Erie Railroad, opened in Savona in 1852. {The opening of a second major railroad convinced a majority of the residents that Savona would continue to grow and needed its own government, and in a short time in May of 1883, Savona became a village corporation.}  No in this picture the boxcars waiting to be loaded with farm product and logs stacked behind the depot awaiting shipment.

With the growing use of passenger cars and freight trucks and the improvements of highways in the 1940’s and 1950’s, railroads lost business.  The DL&W ended passenger service in 1944 and closed the Savona until that line went under.  The old depot was sold in 1976 and moved to Bath, across from Lake Salubria where it is now a shop.  The roadbed is now owned by B&H Rail Cop., an affiliate of the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville Railroad.

Rick Littell – Village of Savona Historian